Thursday, March 26, 2020

Soul Improvement is Up to Us

Parshat Vayikra

by Rabbi Avi Billet 

The Book of Vayikra begins with much instruction regarding the sacrificial order, going into detail about which offerings are brought, and how, and for what reasons.

The fifth chapter of the book begins as follows: “[This is the law] if a person sins [in any of the following ways]: If he is bound by an oath [to give evidence in court], where he was a witness who saw or knew [something], and he does not testify, he must bear his guilt.” 

We are familiar with the idea that a witness must share what he knows in court. Spoliation of evidence, obfuscation and perjury are considered immoral in any case where “the whole truth and nothing but the truth” is needed.

The question is, in the Torah’s announcement, how far reaching does this evidence sharing have to go? Should a person be a snitch? Is the Torah mandating tattling? Or is this only in a specific setting – a court room, when the witness is under the equivalent of an oath and must give the information for the court to know how to decide?

It certainly sounds like this is a rule for the courtroom. But the opening word, which was lost in the translation, is rather suggestive. The Torah says “And if a Nefesh sins” (Nefesh was translated above as ‘person’). The Midrash Aggadah quotes a verse from Mishlei (Proverbs) 19:2: “It is also not good that a soul be without knowledge,” and then asks why our verse introduces the sinner as a “Nefesh?”

The answer is that sinning is attached to the soul. Just as the fulfillment of a mitzvah leads to another mitzvah, a sin leads to another sin. The Midrash shares a long tale attached to the second half of that verse in Mishlei, and then it brings a second interpretation, about how in the world to come God asks the soul why it sinned. And the soul says, “It wasn’t me. It was the body! From when I left the body have I sinned?” So God turns to the body and asks it why it sinned. And the body says, “Look at me – lifeless! I can’t do anything without my soul! Have I sinned since the soul left me? Clearly it’s the soul that sins.”

Without much of a choice, God judges them together.

To me, this Midrash is showing that there is what to be said about the soul being the definition of the person. We really need to rein in our souls to make sure we know what it is accountable for, and in what manner it truly serves our best interests.

This week, with the Coronavirus forcing us to reformulate how we create community and how we serve God (hopefully for only a short time), adding chapters of Tehillim to a daily regimen of Tefillah turned out to be rather inspirational. It is amazing to see how words written 2800 years ago can be so profoundly relevant to what is going on today.

Different than what I normally do, I’ll just be sharing snippets of some of the chapters I read this week, all of which demonstrate a fundamental belief that God is running the show, and a fundamental faith that it’s how much I put into my soul that determines how much my soul walks away with, and how much it grows in positive ways.

So let us remember that the snitching and tattling are just one form of tainting the soul. (Though we must tell the truth in a courtroom!) Our goal in life is to enhance others’ lives as we get closer and closer to our soul’s real purpose.

The following translations are taken from Chabad Library 

Tehillim 17 - 6 I called to You because You shall answer me, O God. Bend Your ear to me; hearken to my saying. 7 Distinguish Your kind acts to save, with Your right hand, those who take refuge [in You] from those who rise up [against them]. 8 Guard me as the apple of the eye; in the shadow of Your wings You shall hide me. 9 Because of the wicked who have robbed me; my mortal enemies who encompass me. 10 [With] their fat, they closed themselves up; their mouths spoke with haughtiness… 14 Of those who die by Your hand, O Lord, of those who die of old age, whose share is in life, and whose belly You will fill with Your hidden treasure, who have children in plenty and leave their abundance to their babes.15 I will see Your face with righteousness; I will be satisfied with Your image upon the awakening.

Tehillim 25 - 8 The Lord is good and upright; therefore, He leads sinners on the road…10 All the Lord's ways are kindness and truth for those who keep His covenant and His testimonies…14 The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him, and His covenant is to let them know [it].15 My eyes are always to God for He will take my feet out of the net…17 The troubles of my heart have increased; deliver me from my straits.18 See my affliction and my toil, and forgive all my sins. 19 See my enemies for they have increased, and they hate me with unjust hatred. 20 Guard my soul and save me; let me not be shamed for I have taken refuge in You. 21 Sincerity and uprightness shall guard me, for I have hoped for You. 22 O God, redeem Israel from all its troubles 

Tehillim 28 - 1 Of David. To You, O Lord, I call. My Rock, do not be deaf to me, lest You be silent to me, and I will be likened to those who descend into the Pit. 2 Hearken to the voice of my supplications when I cry out to You, when I lift my hands towards Your Holy Sanctuary… 5 For they do not understand the works of the Lord or the deeds of His hands. He shall break them down and not build them up. 6 Blessed is the Lord, for He has heard the voice of my supplication. 7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him and I was helped; my heart rejoiced and I will thank Him with my song… 9 Save Your people and bless Your inheritance, and tend them and elevate them forever.

Tehillim 31 - 1 To the conductor, a song of David. 2 I took refuge in You, O Lord; let me not be shamed forever; rescue me with Your righteousness. 3 Incline Your ear to me, quickly rescue me; be a rock of strength to me, a stronghold to save me. 4 For You are my Rock and my Stronghold, and for Your name's sake, You shall lead me and guide me. 5 You shall free me from this net which they have hidden for me, for You are my stronghold. 6 In Your hand I entrust my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord, God of truth... 8 I will exult and rejoice in Your kindness, for You have seen my affliction; You have known the troubles of my soul. 9 And you did not deliver me into the hands of an enemy; You have placed my feet in a broad place. 10 Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye is dimmed from anger, my soul and my belly. 11 For my life is spent in grief and my years in sighing; my strength has failed because of my iniquity, and my bones have decayed… 15 But I trusted in You, O Lord; I said, "You are my God." 16 My times are in Your hands; rescue me from the hands of my enemies and from my pursuers. 17 Cause Your countenance to shine upon Your servant; save me with Your kindness… 22 Blessed is the Lord for He has been wondrously kind to me in a besieged city. 23 But I said in my haste, "I have been cut off from before Your eyes," but You heard the voice of my supplications when I cried out to You. 24 Love the Lord, all His pious ones. The Lord guards those who believe [in Him] and He pays with a bowstring him who works with haughtiness. 25 Strengthen yourselves, and He will give your heart courage, all who hope to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment