Thursday, December 3, 2009

Interesting Discussion

Tuesday night I filled in for Rabbi Nightingale of Aish of Florida, at a dinner and discussion with university students. We had a really great discussion about the Jewishness of American and secular holidays - somewhat inspired by the REKA program from Thanksgiving.

One of the participants asked a question about the afterlife - and as that is not my area of expertise, I was very comfortable saying "I have no idea."

But you might find it interesting - as a thought or discussion. Comments are appreciated below.

The question was: "Let's say Mr. Jew Smith marries. After a little while, Mrs. Smith sadly passes away. Mr. Jew Smith marries again, to a new Mrs. Smith who never married before. In the afterlife, with whom does Mr. Smith spend eternity?"

One person said "No problem. According to Jewish law a man may have two wives."

Then the speaker said, "Say the same scenario about a woman who survives her first husband and then marries again."

My initial response was, as mentioned, "I have no idea."

But, in thinking about it, my next response is, "Who says that the afterlife reflects the monogamous or polygamous relationships a person might have in this world? Who says eternity means being "reunited" with ones loved ones?" We may say that our loved ones look down upon us and watch over us. It makes us feel good to believe this. But do we really know?

I said to the questioner, "I don't know, as that is in a realm that is really beyond us. Perhaps we can ask, is the male buried next to both wives? Or the woman next to both husbands? How is that decided? The one "found love" twice. Sadly, the first spouse died young."

In posing this question, I was thinking about my great aunt and uncle who lived across the street from friends of theirs for many decades. My great uncle passed away, and the woman across the street also died. The two neighbors decided to spend their later years as husband and wife. They knew each other very well already, so the dating process wasn't too drawn out.

While he has since passed away, I am sure he was buried next to his first wife. And when it is her time, I am sure my great aunt has a plot next to my great uncle. As it should be.

Anyway, as much as it may make us feel good to think we will one day have it made in the world to come, with our dream house and with our closest loved ones with us, I don't think we can rely on Richard Matheson, Ronald Bass, and Vincent Ward to paint this image for us. (Though I did enjoy the movie!)

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment