Friday, November 13, 2009

Parsha Drama - Chayei Sarah

After Sarah's death and funeral (of which we, strangely, have no photos), Avraham tells his servant (standing) to go find a wife for his son, from the land where Avraham grew up.



We try very hard to get the instructions clear... Avraham grew up in Charan!



I (Midrash identifies me as Eliezer) arrived at a well and made a condition. If a girl at the well gives me a drink, and then, on her own decides to give water to my camels, I'll know she's kind, sensitive, caring, thoughtful, sincere, and she even likes animals! Here I am drinking the water she gave me.




And here she is filling her bucket from the well while I am explaining to everyone how much water ONE camel drinks. And she's shlepping water for TEN camels. Unbelievable!





Her brother Lavan (which means white) noticed the jewelry I gave her, and he wants to know if I have any more...


While he's pretending to hug me, he's really checking my pockets to see if I'm hiding anything.


After I proved to her family my noble intentions, even Lavan sent Rivkah off with a blessing...





When we got back to the place where Avraham lived, the first person we saw was Yitzchak. Out of awe, Rivkah fell off her camel, and then covered her face so Yitzchak could not look at her. This just proves how modest she was.

Yitzchak was a little concerned that he could not see her face, (he even wondered if she was hiding her face to hide the fact that she isn't so pretty...)


But I sure showed him! She is actually very pretty.
So they got married, and Yitzchak was finally comforted over the loss of his mother - who had died three years earlier.
Avraham continued his life, getting married to Keturah and having six more sons (aside from others he may have had with different concubines), and he lived to the ripe old age of 175. [He didn't want pictures taken from his second wedding because he didn't want photo documentation that he ever lived with a wife other than Sarah.]

No comments:

Post a Comment