Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Inspiring Tale of the Ten Days

One component of my job has placed me as a visiting rabbi to the Anshe Chesed Synagogue in Boynton Beach. I served as rabbi there on Rosh Hashana, will return this shabbos and for Yom Kippur and will be there periodically throughout the year.

The president of the synagogue gave my name to an individual who works with some of the residents at Heritage Park - Liberty Inn, and I was invited to present a pre Yom Kippur service as part of the scheduled activities for the Jewish residents.

It is truly an inspiration to meet people who have lived extraordinary lives. A couple of the women there were over 100 years old.

One woman, who is 111 or 112, is described by her fellow residents in this way - "111. And she's got all her marbles." I am not sure if she heard everything I said though. After I described the shofar as a ram's horn, I sounded the shofar, and then I saw her perk up (she had been visibly attentive throughout), and then she said, "That's a ram's horn." As in, "I recognize that sound and you probably didn't mention this until now, but what you're doing is making sounds out of a ram's horn."

I spoke to her afterwards. Can you imagine? She was born in the 1800s!

Stories, Songs, and Significance

While in some contexts my singing is OK, I did not want to risk torturing people, so I brought in different recordings: a traditional cantorial rendition of Kol Nidrei (it wasn't Yossele Rosenblatt or Al Jolson, though people asked), "K'vakoras" of Regesh, "U'vashofar Gadol" of Lev V'Nefesh II, a cantorial interpretation of "V'yeda Kol Pa'ul" as performed by Chazzan Moshe (Oscar) Berry, and Shlomo Carlebach's "V'yeetayu kol" which has been adapted by many to the words "L'shana Haba'ah Berushalayim" (originally by Rabbi Baruch Chait, for those interested in a little Jewish Music history)

In between these songs I told a couple of stories: This one from chabad dot org, the boy who whistled, and I introduced Carlebach's song telling his story of meeting soldiers who were injured in the Yom Kippur war. "They lost eyes, limbs, etc... And I swear to you they saw what nobody saw before, and they felt what nobody will ever feel again..."

A Feeling and a Mood

Music is tremendously powerful. Slow horns, slow singing, slow slow slow, tempo and melody. It changes the atmosphere. It can cause people to sit up at attention and to feel the moment.

And stories can touch the soul as well. The Cantonist minyan (first story from chabad dot org above) and the one about the soldiers relate to people in a nursing facility, because they speak of individuals who have scars (physical and /or metaphorical) of the things they've experienced in their lives. They've been through a battle and they've emerged with their faith intact.

Senior citizens in residence facilities have had their share of battles, and it is these they can place before God on Yom Kippur, saying "Look what I've been through. And I ask, for Your sake, as I will continue to believe in You, that You please grant the things I wish for - a healthy and sweet new year."

The shofar also stirred up memories of places in distant pasts. Some had not had the opportunity to hear it this year until that point.

We Can Do This

Like many people, I say more than I do. But it is tremendously humbling and gratifying to go into a place such as this, share with the elderly and infirm, knowing that what I bring is appreciated and meaningful and brings a positive spin on a day.

There are good days and bad days in our lives and in residence homes. A little entertainment and education goes a long way.

We can all appreciate that.

And for those who have the time and something to share (you can even read a story to people), volunteering an hour of your time to give joy to others is an experience you won't regret.

And you won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment